Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The US Dollar: What a Concept

Today was fun. Soni Didi came up to me holding a US Quarter and a Euro that had fallen off of Jason's nightstand. 

She said, "Didi, what are these? They look like money, but they're not!" So I began to tell her how countries all over the world use different types of money. She totally didn't get It for a while! It was so fun educating her! 

And, then I braved that Hindi by deciding to educate her even further on the US dollar! Guys! Did you ever realize how confusing our system is?!?!! When I pulled out a penny and said "one" but then pulled out a dollar and it had "1" written on it but I had to tell her it was actually one hundred!!! Shwew!!  And she was so confused as to why the quarter didn't have a number written anywhere on it! And we're supposed to just know what it's worth?!? ;) 

So then I started showing her all the coins and how each one was worth a certain number of pennies!!!! And as I went on, I realized how hard it really is to teach U.S. money!!! ;) 

Then, don't forget the comparison to the rupee! So I said that if milk is 20 rupees a bag here then it would be about 40 cents. But, she took that to mean milk is 40 cents in the US! Ha! Long shot! So then I had to explain, no, it's much more expensive, but that 20 rupees was equal to about 40 cents! Wowzers! 

It was fun and educational for me as well! The things we don't realize that aren't just common knowledge to everyone. She even asked me "Didi! Did you know about the rupee before you came here? And how? And what did you do when you got here to spend money? They wouldn't take your money, would they?"  

So interesting! So fun! And, I give myself an A+ for explaining a complex topic in a foreign language and her an A++ for understanding something she's never even heard of and especially through my Hindi. ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment