Pages

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Not A Bed of Roses. Or Is It?


Yes. We get to experience some pretty cool things living this 'adventurous' life we live. And, yes, I'm thankful for the amazing things we've seen and done, places we've been, people we've met, and life God has given us. 

But this weekend has been one of those weekends that has made me want to throw in the towel and go running for home. And, since I mainly share the positive side of things, today, I'm gonna tell it like it is. And truthfully, throughout this trial I have repeatedly reminded myself of what I have to be thankful for. Not only besides the trial but actually in it. So I'll share those too. 

Both girls came down sick beginning Friday night. Kamden, without exaggerating, threw up every five to ten minutes from 11:30PM till 3AM when she finally caught a break and slept until 6AM and started puking again. My heart broke for her and there was nothing I could do. She's usually pretty chipper through puking (strange child) but this time she could barely hold her head up. 

And then when we all woke up Saturday AM, Kiley's first words were "My tummy hurts." And so it began for her as well. She was lucky. Only threw up once but had a terrible fever to go with it. 

Did I mention Jason was out of town and the power was off and on all night? And that Kamden almost never misses the bucket, but this time she did! ;) 

Honestly, somehow, only by God's grace, I was able to serve those two girls far better than I ever have in the past. I just kept reminding myself to serve them with love. Graciously and selflessly. Yes. Pathetic that I had to remind myself but a victory that I did it.  And God gave me the grace to stay awake during (most of) their movies that they wanted so desperately for me to see! 

Jason got home in time to leave again. ;) And last night we found... (I'm baring it all now, ladies and gentlemen), ROACHES!  And I don't mean one. Plural. Dis. Gust. ING. We live in the middle floor of a home that is wedged between other homes so it's no wonder. But, seriously! I was disgusted. We didn't sleep. We researched. And we set out for battle!  Thankfully, it seems as if they've confined themselves to one room. They are coming through the drain and residing under our kitchen sink. I know. Gross. You don't have to tell me. But what to do other than declare war and go at it. We got up extra early and Jason set out to get the weapons while I went to work completely stripping the kitchen of everything. 

Sadly, this is where I have to mention that Kamden came down with a high fever as well. So now, two sick girls and an all-out war on the most disgusting creature in the world. 

So, when you think what a glamorous life we seem to be living. Think again. Because moments like these remind me that we are certainly not living a fairy tale. 

So... Now for the thankful moments because it's good to end on a good note: 

-Jason came home! Yay! And he's always level headed! While I'm considering packing our bags, he's thinking logically. 

-Both girls have gotten lots of cuddle time and surely know I love them. ;) As a matter of fact, there's tons to be done but I'm currently holding a sleeping Kamden because of her reputation of seizing from fevers so I don't want to leave her alone. 

-Jason and I work WELL together! And I think it's neat to see how five years ago this disaster would have ended in an argument. Not today. Today we have worked as a team. 

-Soni Didi was able to come today so, as I cleaned out the kitchen, she washed every dish in it so we could really have a next to perfectly spotless kitchen.

-We are pretty certain we've found the source and the proper method for getting rid of them and tho me of little faith has a hard time believing we won't be dealing with this again soon, I'm thankful for now. 

-I'm reminded that life isn't a bed of roses. Or maybe it is. And that's just it. Roses have thorns. And this weekend, tho I could smell the roses, I could certainly feel the thorns! 



Addendum: I can't believe I'm actually having to add to this but the 'fun' actually didn't stop there! We were on the last phase of clean up when we heard a loud pop! Our electrical box had blown sending very bad smoke throughout the house. So we checked on it and got outside because the smell was too much. About five minutes later, Jason and I stepped inside and the smell was worse. Believe it or not, a spark had managed to fall into a basket we keep nearby and had caught it on fire! My purse, wallet, and the basket were among the only real casualties. We were on the verge of overly frustrated when some friends stopped by to show us their new cd! Yay for good friends to take yourkns off things. So we all sat outside while the house cleared out! 

The rest is just laughable. Finally finished cleaning the house around ten after fixing dinner in the newly cleaned kitchen. Wen for a long awaited shower... Our water heater had quit! No problem, right? We have another shower. Got in. Water ran out!!!! Sent Jason downstairs to start the pump, I hear him growl... What now... A cat had gotten into our trash!!!! Unbelievable!!!! We finally made it to bed and are taking the girls in tomorrow to see the doc and get those tummy issues cleared up! Whoo! What. A. Day. 





No comments:

Post a Comment