This life, as I mentioned on a status on Facebook, of raising TCK's is a ROLLER COASTER of emotions! I mean, our life is filled with change. Especially recently: new house, new city, new friends, new babies, new school year... And it takes its toll on everyone, but especially on us emotional girls. So, I usually try not to stress (too terribly deeply-though those of you who know me, know I know how to stress!), and when there are beautiful little glimmers of sheer goodness, I like to bask in them, remember them, and tuck them away for memory's sake when I need them most.
This week would be one of those glimmers. Earlier this week, I had a meltdown. We three girls have been on the verge of emotional meltdowns for some time, I think, but this week it finally hit. I saw the doctor and was told, as I expected, that I couldn't attend an upcoming retreat we had scheduled out in the middle of nowhere. I was disappointed, but to say the girls were disappointed is an understatement. They were heartbroken that I could not go. Mind you, they still get to go!, but that wasn't sufficient, and it showed, through huge tear drops and lots of difficult moments. This, of course, led me to "What all am I doing wrong?" and "How can I make it better?" and lots and lots of tears on my part too. During that self-evaluation, I was reminded that Kamden (the one who has struggled the most with culture shock over the years), when feeling led to do something for someone else, is the fastest to jump right on what she felt called to do. She doesn't quit until it's done. And, guess what, a few weeks earlier she had the grand idea to start a VBS for the village kids. And, I was so proud, and I entertained that idea so well... for a few days, until some of her ideas began to become irrational, she got sick, we got busy, then I sort of just let it slide rather than helping her make it happen. And on the night of emotional breakdowns, I felt like a failure. The very little girl who struggles with sharing her bike with the village kids wants to put on an entire VBS for them to learn about Jesus!!!!!!
So, I begged God for forgiveness and mostly for a second chance and went to bed. Woke up with swollen eyes from crying (which our Didi made sure to point out) and I asked Kamden if she still wanted to do the VBS... Did she ever!? THANK YOU, LORD! (and instead of being jealous of the attention her little sister was getting, this time Kiley jumped in and said "How can I help?") It was like a tiny moment in "Leave It To Beaver".
And, somehow, she had on her mind the exact story she wanted to be taught at our first ever VBS: The Lame Man (Acts. 3:1-10). So, she took her trusty children's Bible that she's been reading at night and she read to each period then had me translate that sentence into Hindi. And we practiced it over and over and over again. ;) And in one day's time, would you believe she memorized that story (in English)! This is the same girl who doesn't so much care for memorizing poems during language and yet can memorize an entire story in a day... Makes me rethink the way we do school just a little bit!
-The 4 Cokes
This week would be one of those glimmers. Earlier this week, I had a meltdown. We three girls have been on the verge of emotional meltdowns for some time, I think, but this week it finally hit. I saw the doctor and was told, as I expected, that I couldn't attend an upcoming retreat we had scheduled out in the middle of nowhere. I was disappointed, but to say the girls were disappointed is an understatement. They were heartbroken that I could not go. Mind you, they still get to go!, but that wasn't sufficient, and it showed, through huge tear drops and lots of difficult moments. This, of course, led me to "What all am I doing wrong?" and "How can I make it better?" and lots and lots of tears on my part too. During that self-evaluation, I was reminded that Kamden (the one who has struggled the most with culture shock over the years), when feeling led to do something for someone else, is the fastest to jump right on what she felt called to do. She doesn't quit until it's done. And, guess what, a few weeks earlier she had the grand idea to start a VBS for the village kids. And, I was so proud, and I entertained that idea so well... for a few days, until some of her ideas began to become irrational, she got sick, we got busy, then I sort of just let it slide rather than helping her make it happen. And on the night of emotional breakdowns, I felt like a failure. The very little girl who struggles with sharing her bike with the village kids wants to put on an entire VBS for them to learn about Jesus!!!!!!
So, I begged God for forgiveness and mostly for a second chance and went to bed. Woke up with swollen eyes from crying (which our Didi made sure to point out) and I asked Kamden if she still wanted to do the VBS... Did she ever!? THANK YOU, LORD! (and instead of being jealous of the attention her little sister was getting, this time Kiley jumped in and said "How can I help?") It was like a tiny moment in "Leave It To Beaver".
So... How did the VBS go, you ask? I COULDN'T HAVE IMAGINED ANYTHING BETTER! Yesterday, Kamden handwrote invitations and handed them out to the kids at the park. Not in her typical 'shy-do I really have to-here you do it' way, but with confidence and boldness that could have only come from the Lord.
Finally, today came! And at 11 AM she was asking "How long until VBS?" and our friends from the park were ringing the doorbell starting around 4PM! ;) Our awesome Auntie Marie and her four kids came to help out and each took on a task for VBS, we all prayed at the door, and headed out! Who knew what was to come or how it would go, but God did!
Our first VBS went as smoothly as possible. We saw about 30-35 kids come and pay very close attention, moms standing on the sidelines listening in and actually thankful for what we were doing, and even some workers hanging out of the unfinished building to hear what was going on! This week, the Word went forth! The kids each did their job with confidence and the memory verse, amazingly enough, was memorized by at least 75% of the kids there! We sang, told a story, colored, snacked, earned candy, prayed, and invited back for next week!!!!
Kiley & Kamden were talking afterward and said "Hey! Wouldn't it be cool if this went really well and we started taking it to the other parks and spreading it!" Yes, girls, spread it! Spread it far and wide... "Until the Whole World Hears"!!!!!!









This is SO beyond words awesome!!
ReplyDelete