I've always read over this verse quickly. It's talking about cheating or lying, right? Last time I checked, I wasn't ripping people off or keeping back money given to me by accident or something. So I just skip right past.
Until today. I sat down to read Proverbs 11 and quite honestly had to read verse one over and over merely because I was being greatly entertained by a houseful of kids feeding me play-do cupcakes and cakes. ;) But I'm thankful because about the fourth or fifth time I read it, it hit me: this could just as well be talking about pride or low self esteem or how we view others compared to ourselves or visa versa.
Get it? A false balance. Adding a little 'weight' to what we do or how we feel so as to "measure up" to the next guy or the standards we think we have to meet. Or just to look a little better. A false balance, right?
Or unrealistically adding a huge scoop of "awesome" to the other guy because, I mean, they seem to have it altogether and I obviously do not. A false balance, right?
Always until now I pictured this verse with veggies on one side of the scale and a weight on the other side that just wasn't quite what it said it was. Ya know, cheating or lying financially.
But today I see all my works, all my efforts in one side- the good and the bad- and the other side filled with a non-existing picture-perfect person who has it all together and doesn't show a sign of weakness on the other side. And just for good measure, I dump an extra helping of awesomeness wherever I think it needs to be.
And then what have I done? I've become an abomination to The Lord!
I wanna be real. I wanna be real because God wants me to be real. Because without realness, how will anyone understand the grace of God? How in reality He's standing on that scale in my place. And He certainly measures up!

No comments:
Post a Comment