Pages

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Lately

What's been happening lately? Lately, we've been living life.  We're in a sort of routine.  Probably more of a routine than we've ever had in our life.  And, I'm loving it! We still like to do the spontaneous so as things sneak in, we readjust.  But, for the most part, life is just happening as normal as possible.

Currently, Jason is out of town for a two week language intensive.  We.  Miss.  Him.  Terribly! BUT, things are going surprisingly well.  It's allowed for a lot of special one on one time, not only for me with the girls, but for the girls with each other.  They have been amazing buddies the past few days.

What's the typical day look like for the4cokes, or at least the 3 ladies of the4cokes?

Monday - Thursday are our typical homeschool days.  So, on those days, we try to start our day with breakfast at 8:00.  I try to get up prior to everyone else because I like the quiet before everyone awakes.  I often let the girls sleep if they need the extra.  Sidenote: did you know that living overseas, especially in a place so stimulating as this, can cause you to need as much sleep as a newborn? And, it makes sense.  Just as a newborn is making new discoveries every moment of everyday, so are we.  So, if they sleep, I often let them.  Then we get started right away with breakfast and Bible.  We are reading through a very detailed children's Bible and it's taking us forever to get through, but the girls seem to love it! We learn a Bible verse a week using the "Seeds of..." series, and the girls have a little devotional book that they love doing.  If there's time, we use the next 30 minutes for any type of activity I feel like having them do that day.  Usually that time slips by rather quickly.  The girls then move on to handwriting, followed by Kiley's independent math time while I teach Kamden phonics/reading.  Two days a week, we then rush out the door to ride bikes to the local part to play with our friends.  Sidenote: I never dreamed my girls would be riding bikes on the crowded streets here! I'm so thankful for the opportunities they get.  After recess, I bring the two smallest of the five girls back for math class, while the other three stay at our friends' house for writing and spelling class.  On the other two days a week, we take it easy by staying here and doing afternoon work in reading/language etc. and have a Hindi class here as well.

Those are the weekdays.  Then, on Friday, I go to the village where I've been released to lead small house churches in a few different villages twice a month.  It's challenging, rewarding, a huge learning experience, and great to have an organized planned day for ministry.  I'm enjoying it.

Our evenings seem to go by so quickly! The girls play... and play... and play some more, while I make dinner, study Hindi, and try to get in some time reading to them as well.  We eat and then it's usually off to bed.  For the girls, that is! ;)

This month, we've added some activities to our daily schedule.  And, so far so good! We're really enjoying celebrating Christmas this year with a couple different activities.  At first I wondered, "too much?" but then I remembered, that if I don't do it, who will? They aren't surrounded by the "reason for the season" here with Sunday School, children's church, etc. so I decided to go for it and we're loving it.

We are doing three advent style activities.  But total, they probably take 10 minutes to complete.  The girls are doing a good deed every day on one of their calendars.  On another, they are praying for a different people group each day using a beautifully hand crafted advent calendar complete with dolls representing each group.  It's awesome and they are awestruck by it.  And then, we are finishing the night with the Jesse Tree devotionals.  Short, sweet, and to the point.

I'm loving these days.  Someone once said, "The days are long but the years are short." But in this season of my life, I disagree.  My girls are in 'the soft spot' I'd say.  Being around them is enjoyable to me.  And, most days, I don't want to lay them down.

SO, this is a just quick glimpse at what's going on around here.  Life is good.  God is great.  We are blessed!
-The 4 Cokes

No comments:

Post a Comment