Written in March 2013 while in the mountains. Never actually posted until now. :)
Just something comical that's on my mind. Something that, surprisingly, I actually find myself enjoying.
Before I left the States, my biggest concern about living in a foreign land was "How am I ever going to learn to feed my family?" I was really terrified. Anxious to get it right and do it well. So I prayed about that one concern quite a bit.
Much to my surprise (shouldn't be surprised at the way God always answers even our smallest of needs), I have found great joy (most days) in feeding my family. It's proven to me that I work better under pressure and secretly enjoy a challenge.
So, this morning Kamden asked for a simple slice of Nutella toast. In America, with my big toaster oven, diswasher, and spreadable butter, it may have taken 3 minutes max. Actually, I take that back, I probably would have tried desperately to persuade her to go back to sleep...it wasn't time to wake up yet...I probably would have lazily gathered the supplies, while checking facebook, turning on the tv or something else to keep her occupied while she waited, probably gone ahead and gotten dressed, put on my make up, and after 10-15 minutes (or more) lazily wandered to the kitchen to get what should have taken less than five minutes to accomplish.
Here, on the other hand, I laughed out loud as I realized the steps required to make her a piece of toast. And by the time breakfast for everyone was complete, this is what I had done:
-uncovered the fresh homemade bread that had been sitting on the counter overnight.
-sliced a couple pieces for each of us with a dull knife and no cutting board.
-warmed up the skillet and added a touch of butter because the toaster this place does have is trash.
-warmed two pieces at a time. No more will fit.
-set them out on plates and quickly add Nutella which is too cold to spread unless it is applied onto still warm toast.
-I wanted cinnamon butter toast, so I added butter to the frying pan again. (Again, too cold for the butter to simply spread onto the fragile homemade bread.)
-pour this mixture onto my toast.
-start the chai because the milk by itself just doesn't taste quite right all the time, no, make that, ever. ;)
-go ahead and eat standing up because if I don't my toast will get cold.
-pour tea for everyone. Yes, everyone. The girls love it and its a great thing to love about this country.
-finally sit down to eat the rest of my toast and enjoy my chai. With my family. Around a table. Until the girls wander outside to play and Jason & I crack open our books to study for a few hours.
I've sort of fallen in love with the more simple life. I'm not sure why we call it simple... ;) but I like it. I think often about what it will be like when we go back to visit the States. Will I fall back into prepackaged foods, microwaves, etc or will I be so used to things this way that it won't matter. It's fun to think about. Until then, you can find me in the kitchen figuring out a yummy dessert to make without an oven. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment