Things I find interesting about myself. It's hard to know what things are actually going to affect you when you've never moved overseas before. I have nothing to compare it to so a few things came as a surprise to me.
First, I've been really surprised by my desire to cook. And to bake. And to just be in the kitchen. Most of you know I took advantage of the world of ease in America and let plenty of meals go by without cooking. I also spent a lot of time complaining about the responsibility of cooking. Now, I look back and think how ridiculous. I have been given the awesome privilege of providing for my family in this one simple way and I'm loving it. Thank you, God for this new found joy.
The next thing that caught me off guard is how much I enjoy talking about the luxuries of "home". I've always teased people overseas who torture themselves with thinking of, dreaming of, talking about the foods they love from home. Why torture yourself? But, funny enough, some of my favorite conversations today have been talking about what types of places we loved to eat, desserts we love, and of course going on and on about Chick-Fil-A.
* A little side note. Today, Kiley randomly says "I wish we had a Chick-Fil-A here. We just happened to be having chicken strips for dinner (made with a CFA recipe I have), so I told her, "Girl, who needs Chick-Fil-A when you have CFA... "Chicken From Angel"! She appreciated that bit of humor. ;)
Anyway, so I never expected I would enjoy talking about things I can't have but it kind of brings a warmth to reminisce especially about all the memories with the people we enjoyed those restaurants and foods with.
Third, I don't miss the TV one bit! Not an ounce. Not to say we'll never get one again, but it doesn't even cross our minds. The girls either. We haven't had a single craving for it. Technology helps, because we watch the occasional movie on the laptop, but it's rare and you'd probably laugh at what we watch. ;) A wise friend once told me TV is a thief. It steals precious time. And I believe that's true. We have way too many other memories to be making right now.
And, today, I came to terms with the fact that items from home are treasured. I'm not really that sentimental of a person. But, today I found myself almost in tears over the fact that one towel bled onto one from home. That was a gift from a dear friend. Normally, that wouldn't be a huge deal I thought, but it was a treasured gift from someone I loved and now it was tainted. It made me much sadder than I expected.
I'm also a little surprised at how much I miss my WV family. I mean, duh, I knew I'd miss them. But it's not like I lived next door to them before. We were more than three hours away. But, let me tell you, distance makes the heart grow fonder, for sure. I find myself daydreaming about going hunting with my dad (something I never really got into growing up... Oh the memories I missed out on), teasing my sister and making her LOL, cracking up at my brother because he's such a nut, and hugging on my mom, something else I took for granted. Not to mention my brother & sister-in-laws, who I just wish I could spend more time getting to know better and just live life with them. And that sweet baby, Aaleyah! ... THANK GOD FOR TECHNOLOGY because I can still call my mommy anytime I need random advice on something, I can listen to my dad's hunting stories and find myself listening much more intently than ever before. I can call my brother when I need a good laugh or someone who will simply listen when I'm down, and I can call my sister at the wee hours of her morning because I know she'll be awake and I know I'll make her day, which makes mine.
I also never expected I'd feel at home so fast. I thought I would have to endure for quite some time. Just get by. Remember why you're here. You can do this. But, God gave me the desires of my heart, which I far from deserve. A place to call home. My home away from home.
There's so much I'm learning about myself. But so much I still have to learn. I'm blown away by God's goodness to me. And I'm amazed by how He's taking the time to invest into me, convict me, change me. I'm on this amazing journey and He has lead me all the way. He's changing me day after day. And, for that, I am incredibly thankful.
No comments:
Post a Comment