Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

He Gives Greater Grace

Wow! I feel like I say that a lot these days.  It just seems that life is one big WOW after another right now.  And something tells me it's going to be that way for a while.  Which, I'm totally cool with.  Life would be rather boring without plenty of WOW moments.  


We just got back home after a short trip to Florida to celebrate the life of Jason's "nana" who passed away this past week.  It truly was a bittersweet trip, but thanks to so many prayers being offered up for all of us, it was one of the best trips we've had.  The time was well spent, the memories were sweet, and I believe his grandmother was well honored for the life that she lived.  


Today was full of emotion as we drove the 11 hour trek back home from Daytona where she was buried.  We awaited a call that would determine the course of the rest of our lives.  We waited... and waited... and waited patiently not so patiently to hear whether or not we would be given the green light to continue on with the process of moving overseas.  To be quite honest, we should not have been nervous because we are fully aware that it is out of our hands and that God had this one! And, quite honestly, we weren't nervous until the bitter end.  Jason, well, I don't think he worries about much of anything, but I, on the other hand, started a few heart palpitations as the clock ticked closer and closer to 6 pm.  My brain started thinking "They're saving us for last because they don't want to break it to us that we didn't get through..." and all kinds of crazy ideas.  


But, the call came just as we were stopping for gas and we I jumped for joy.  Jason was far too exhausted to do much jumping! ;)


As I breathed out a huge sigh of relief, I breathed in a huge breath of grief.  This is it.  This is for sure.  I hadn't doubted that we'd go, nor had I really even doubted we'd get through this time around (until it got down to the nitty gritty of the day of) but this phone call was another step closer to goodbyes, another step closer to leaving home.  But another step closer to meeting the lives we hope to impact and the ones we know will impact ours.  I wish I could put into words the mixed emotions going on inside of me.  I never want to downplay my sadness for leaving here nor do I want to downplay my overwhelming excitement to be in the center of God's will... I wish I could paint a picture of the battle going on inside of me, but for now, you'll just have to take my word for it.


Anyway, as we were awaiting that phone call, I was catching up on my Beth Moore study "Mercy Triumphs".  It was incredible how the lessons I was completing went hand in hand with exactly what I was experiencing at the time.  One verse in particular that stood out to me was James 4:6a "But He gives greater grace".  I let it swirl around in my mind a bit and I was ecstatic to be reminded that as I approach possibly the biggest challenge I may ever face, I can rest assured that He gives greater grace...



  • When I am selfish... His grace is greater!
  • When I am prideful... His grace is greater!
  • When I am judgmental... His grace is greater!
  • When I forget to pray... His grace is greater!
  • When I miss out on opportunities... His grace is greater!
  • When I put myself before others... His grace is greater!
  • When I doubt... His grace is greater!
  • When I feel overwhelmed... His grace is greater!
  • When I am incapable... His grace is greater!
Let the book of James remind you that whatever you face, His grace is greater! And, don't stop there, read on to see what steps to take to walk fully in His grace... submit to God, resist the Devil, draw near to God, cleanse your hands, and purify your hearts! 

There's no way in this world that I would be dumb enough to think that I could ever attempt this upcoming task on my own without His great grace, but what about the day to day challenges? Those, I sometimes find myself taking into my own hands.  Why, when He offers me grace that is far greater than anything I can offer? What about you? For the big deals and the small ones, will you let His grace be greater?






-The 4 Cokes

4 comments:

  1. love this post! I am so thankful that I get to 'distantly' walk beside you guys through this journey. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heather! It's all those who walk 'distantly' that we know will be lifting us up! We are so thankful for the support near or far away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, God's Grace. Amazingly what ur friend needed to hear tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this! thanks for sharing what God is doing in your family's life. praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete