So, tonight at dinner, Kiley walks to the table and reminds me, "You said we could have dessert..." And. I. Went. Off. Don't ask me why. I just did. I told you I was having one of those days. And I let it all out on her.
That's the most difficult realization to face when your child is slumping in her chair, tears streaming down her cheeks, on the night before her birthday, no less... I told you I was going to be brutally honest.
I led the prayer for the meal. Asking forgiveness for what I'd just done and we sat in silence around the table. Just me and the girls since Jason had a meeting.
And then, thank The Lord, it happened. The most annoying fly buzzed by. I had truly had it up to here today and I was not in the mood for a stinking fly!!!! So I grabbed the coolest contraption we own- the mosquito zapper! It's a tennis Racquet shaped thing that electrocutes mosuitoes upon contact... And I began chasing this fly around the room. Well, if that sight wasn't funny enough, I actually thought I had gotten it and started cheering, but it turned out to be a crumb on the table! So as I'm doing my victory dance, the girls are yelling at me that it went in the kitchen!!!! So I chased it in the kitchen (my back to the girls) and they are standing on their chairs TRYING to shout to me that it went the other way, but they are laughing so hard they can't get the words out, they're just standing there laughing hysterically and pointing, which I can't see because I'm engaged in getting this STINKIN' fly! Finally, I turn around to see them pointing frantically so I start running in circles around the table (by this point, thanking God silently for this fly that saved the day!) and I still can't catch the silly thing. We're all cracking up now and finally I slam the racquet down on the fly and ZAP! He's a goner! And our evening, it's been saved!!!!!!
As thankful as I am for that comical redemption, I'm ashamed at the way I lashed out at my innocent 8 year old. Man oh man, this parenting job is TOUGH!!!!!!!
Their only prayer of making it through childhood still sane is that God will fill in the gaps where i fall so terribly short.
good word and fun story! I'm holding to that promise too!
ReplyDelete