Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Insight from a 7 year old

This week has been a doozie! What a whirlwind: first sick, then Kamden gets sick, a to do list a mile long and still incomplete, homeschool conference prep, packing, etc., village trips, and trainings. The list goes on. I'll be honest, it got me down. 

But last night, knowing if it didn't happen then that it never would, I agree to take Kiley on her Mommy Date that she earned for memorizing her multiplication facts. 

One thing is for sure- this needs to happen more often. It was such a fun time. That girl, when you get her alone, just talks and talks and talks. 

And it's amazing the things she has to say! I almost couldn't believe my ears at times, the wise comments that were coming out of her mouth. 

We had a lot of sweet moments, but the one that I told her she needed to remember forever was during a conversation about our host country. 

She was telling me again what she had imagined life would be like here: she thought we would like in a hut in a village with no bathroom etc. Looking back I'm amazed that she was ever excited to come in the first place! She said last night that wen se saw our friends' home for the first time she thought, "Wow! This is a mansion!! This is even better than in America!" 

That led to a healthy comparison of the two places where she concluded they're pretty much the same, but this one is so much dirtier with so many more people and different cultures. 

Finally, I asked her, which do you like better? To which she answered, 

"Well, I mean, I don't really like it BETTER [here], BUT, I like it better because, right now, we live here!" 

And, that, is the best definition of true heartfelt contentment I've ever heard! 

I've got a lot to learn from these kiddoes. I just hope they'll keep me around long enough to teach me a few more things. ;) 



No comments:

Post a Comment