Living in a new culture for a year can do some funny things to you. And, it's almost unnoticeable until you take some time away from said culture. Now, some of those traits that have rubbed off are definitely a good thing, for example, when I could hardly keep myself from asking a friend if she would like something to drink over and over again, and then remembering that she was on Skype and not actually here!
On the flip side, some traits aren't so great... well, actually, I haven't decided yet how great or not great they are, but I think the Bible decided for me. You see, when we were in Israel, I actually found myself annoyed and even somewhat offended by the many "excuse me's" I heard. Can't the people just push their way through and leave me alone to mind my own business??? I mean, really! The nerve! ;) I really kept finding this disturbed look on my face when people would bother me with an excuse me instead of just rudely pushing their way past! Ha! I never thought I'd see the day! It was truly the strangest thing, but it made me better understand this culture, in a strange sort of way... like, how just maybe they're thinking "why bother them with my problems, I'll just make my own way?" At least, that's how I've decided to take their pushiness...for now.
Then I had a chance to take a closer look at 1 Peter chapter 3: 8-16 (I was going to type it out here, but really, the whole chapter is worth reading, so if you're interested, pull out your Bible and take a look).
In verse 8, I saw a list of qualities I should have as a believer: unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind.
Then in verse 9-11, a couple of do's and don't's: don't repay evil for evil---do bless; don't speak evil---do good... seek peace...pursue peace!
But, it was in verses 15-16 that I began to realize my wrong, or at the least, my 'not right' ;) ... It speaks in verse 15 of being ready to share about the hope that is in you, but doing it with GENTLENESS AND RESPECT. To be quite honest, after reading this once, rather than getting the plank out of my own eye, my mind turned to some of my Facebook friends who are infamous for their bold, not so kind judgment of people who don't believe like them... but, simultaneously, I had three fingers pointed right back at me! Because, in this verse, it says to have an answer for the reason for the HOPE that is in you. So, in order to be asked about the hope that is in you, it is assumed that the hope is actually SHOWING in the first place. Well, there's a no-brainer. And, so, I thought back about myself... am I any different than the people around me? When they push me, do I push back? Do I rudely smirk back at them when they stare me down in the streets, or do I genuinely smile at them with a smile that shows the love of Christ? I'll be honest, I think it mainly depends on my mood, and how conscious I'm being about my surroundings and the reason why I'm here, along with whether or not I'm exhibiting the fruits of the Spirit.
Then, I kept reading, backward actually, and saw that in order to have the hope in me in the first place, I needed to "honor Christ the Lord as holy in my heart"! And, that's the key to having the hope in the first place... then, being asked about it, followed by answering in such a way that is gentle and respectful!
Shwew! Where does that hit you? Maybe somewhere different than it hit me.
Oh, and the moral of the story: when I come back to the States, please, just push me out of your way. I'm obviously not accustomed to the rudeness of "Excuse Me"! ;)
On the flip side, some traits aren't so great... well, actually, I haven't decided yet how great or not great they are, but I think the Bible decided for me. You see, when we were in Israel, I actually found myself annoyed and even somewhat offended by the many "excuse me's" I heard. Can't the people just push their way through and leave me alone to mind my own business??? I mean, really! The nerve! ;) I really kept finding this disturbed look on my face when people would bother me with an excuse me instead of just rudely pushing their way past! Ha! I never thought I'd see the day! It was truly the strangest thing, but it made me better understand this culture, in a strange sort of way... like, how just maybe they're thinking "why bother them with my problems, I'll just make my own way?" At least, that's how I've decided to take their pushiness...for now.
Then I had a chance to take a closer look at 1 Peter chapter 3: 8-16 (I was going to type it out here, but really, the whole chapter is worth reading, so if you're interested, pull out your Bible and take a look).
In verse 8, I saw a list of qualities I should have as a believer: unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind.
Then in verse 9-11, a couple of do's and don't's: don't repay evil for evil---do bless; don't speak evil---do good... seek peace...pursue peace!
But, it was in verses 15-16 that I began to realize my wrong, or at the least, my 'not right' ;) ... It speaks in verse 15 of being ready to share about the hope that is in you, but doing it with GENTLENESS AND RESPECT. To be quite honest, after reading this once, rather than getting the plank out of my own eye, my mind turned to some of my Facebook friends who are infamous for their bold, not so kind judgment of people who don't believe like them... but, simultaneously, I had three fingers pointed right back at me! Because, in this verse, it says to have an answer for the reason for the HOPE that is in you. So, in order to be asked about the hope that is in you, it is assumed that the hope is actually SHOWING in the first place. Well, there's a no-brainer. And, so, I thought back about myself... am I any different than the people around me? When they push me, do I push back? Do I rudely smirk back at them when they stare me down in the streets, or do I genuinely smile at them with a smile that shows the love of Christ? I'll be honest, I think it mainly depends on my mood, and how conscious I'm being about my surroundings and the reason why I'm here, along with whether or not I'm exhibiting the fruits of the Spirit.
Then, I kept reading, backward actually, and saw that in order to have the hope in me in the first place, I needed to "honor Christ the Lord as holy in my heart"! And, that's the key to having the hope in the first place... then, being asked about it, followed by answering in such a way that is gentle and respectful!
Shwew! Where does that hit you? Maybe somewhere different than it hit me.
Oh, and the moral of the story: when I come back to the States, please, just push me out of your way. I'm obviously not accustomed to the rudeness of "Excuse Me"! ;)
-The 4 Cokes
No comments:
Post a Comment